The 2018-2020 biennial budget allocated funds for a fresh round of official statewide population projections to be developed by the Demographics Research Group at the UVA Weldon Cooper Center.
The citation for the Virginia Projections should read, University of Virginia Weldon Cooper Center, Demographics Research Group. (2019). Virginia Population Projections. Retrieved from https://demographics.coopercenter.org/virginia-population-projections
Virginia population projections release schedule:
- New round of 2030-2050 total population projections, benchmarked on the 2020 census | by July 1, 2022
- Detailed projections by age and gender | 6 months after the Census Bureau releases the 2020 census age and gender data (at this time, the release date is unknown but unlikely before summer 2022)
Projections Data and Methodology
- Total Population:
- Age and Sex*
*July 26, 2019:The Age and Sex file has been updated to correct a pasting error for the under 65 age groups at state level. The revised file is currently available and we apologize for the inconvenience
- Total Population for Large Towns
- Interactive Map
- Population projections show that Virginia is aging and growing more slowly | web series
- By 2020, one in seven Virginians will be over 65 | press release
Shonel Sen: email or call 434.982.5861 with questions or comments regarding Virginia population projections.