The next census will be conducted on April 1, 2020 per the constitution, which mandates that every 10 years, a full head count will be conducted nationwide. There are two primary purposes for the census: re-apportionment of the house seats in the Congress and allocation of more than 600 billion federal dollars each year to the states and communities.
The Demographics Research Group has created this dedicated page to highlight the importance of the census, to inform the general public of the census process, and to share the work we do to help the Commonwealth ensure a complete count and fair representation of all Virginians. We will post reports, blog posts, and other credible information related to the 2020 census on this page, and we also welcome your submission of questions, which will help us to address your concerns and uncertainty.
- Why the Census is Important | brief for the Secretary of the Commonwealth
- Every Virginian Counts: Improving Virginia's representation in the 2020 Census | Local Update of Census Addresses Report
- Every Virginian Counts | Press Release
- Power and Money: Why the Census Is Important | StatChat web series
- How the 2020 Census will invite everyone to respond | U.S. Census Bureau