Data Release for Virginia
The Census Bureau has so far released the total population for the U.S., all 50 states, D.C., and Puerto Rico from the 2020 Census. They have also released redistricting data, which includes county, city, town population and race/ethnicity composition, among others.
Detailed demographic and housing data, such as age, gender, family type, and homeownership, will be released on May 25, 2023.
A Word of Caution When Using the Data
This census is very different from previous censuses in several significant ways. Use caution when using the data:
- Every single data element (population, race, Hispanic origin, age, vacant housing units, etc.), except the total population for the state and housing unit counts, is injected with “noise” by the Census Bureau, using a new privacy protection method called “differential privacy.” This method, while not changing the large populations too much, significantly distorted the population count of small geographies (such as neighborhood level) and any racial/ethnic groups, particularly when they count for a small share of the population. Numbers were artificially inflated or deflated to blur the community “portrait.”
- Published racial data has been significantly altered, not only by noise injection, but also by how the Census Bureau coded and processed the responses. The alteration is more significant than the changes in people’s racial identification about themselves since the last census. As a result, the 2020 Census race data are not comparable with previous censuses.
- In addition, the pandemic impacted the census-taking and census result. College towns, for example, may still miss some student counts, especially of those living off campus.
2020 Census Data for Virginia
As Census 2020 data becomes available, we will provide the most critical data on this page in a user-friendly format. Our demographers will also provide their analysis about the accuracy and usability of the data and share that with our data users.
- Total Population for counties and cities | 2010 and 2020
- Total Population for towns | 2010 and 2020
- Population by Race for counties and cities | 2010 and 2020
- Hispanic Population for counties and cities | 2010 and 2020
Analysis of 2020 Census Data
- Why 2020 Census data needs to be treated with caution | StatChat Web Series
- This Is How The White Population Is Actually Changing Based On New Census Data | NPR Radio, Hansi Lo Wang
- Researchers detail concerns about Southwest Virginia census data | The Roanoke Times
- People, homes vanish due to 2020 census' new privacy method | Associated Press